Gnosis Indicators: Styles, Genres and Qualities
Our aim is not to pidgeon-hole musical artists or their works into any specific or limited categorization.
• The works of each artist are tagged individually rather than by artist because each work by the same artist can be dramatically different.
• You will find that each work is tagged by multiple indicators that best encapsulate the over-all style/genre without necessarily being complete. For example, if an album has a 1 minute country-rock ditty, but the rest of the album is completely dissimilar from that, the country/rural tag will not be given for that title.
• In some cases the character of the album will be further gleened by some of the quality indicators, such as Solo, Duo, Big Band, Chamber, etc.
• It is to be expected that over time some indicators will be added, modified or removed altogether.
• Our goal is not to represent all possible musical styles in the world, but to focus primarily on the music generally encapsulated by the original vision of the Gnosis Project. The Gnosis Project Music
• Some common styles recognized within that scope are represented on Gnosis by a combination of tags rather than a single genre/style tag. For example, Avant is used in combination with other stylistic indicators to modify their characteristic rather than as a style in-and-of-itself.
• It is should also be noted that those who are looking to explore new areas of music can & should also use the country/region and year filters in conjunction with stylistic indicators. For example, those wanting to explore Italian-Symphonic can do so by selecting Italy with the country filter and the Symphonic style/genre filter at the same time.
• Some tags (at this time) are left vague (such as Metal, Latin, & Ethnic/World) because a proper breakdown would results in a voluminous increase of stylistic tags which would skew the balance of clarity, completeness & accuracy. At this time we will leave the proper designation of sub-genres, such as those under the umbrella of Metal, to web-sites that specialize in those more focused styles.
• In these initial days there may not be many, if any, results for your style-based searches because the functionality has just been added and will take time for our team to tag the albums.
|Alternative / Indie||Cassette|
|Arena Rock / AOR||Digital download|
|Celtic / Breton||Chamber|
|Ethnic / World||Instrumental|
|Free / Improvisational||Real People / Bedroom / Amateur|
|Hard Rock||Large ensemble|
|Hip-Hop / Rap|
|Krautrock / Kosmische|
|Lounge / Exotica / Space Age Pop|
|Rhythm & Blues|
|Reggae / Dub / Ska|
|Rural / Country|
|Samba / Bossa Nova|
|Surf / Instrumental|